Citation Mustang Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Citation Mustang Xperience Forums > Citation Mustang General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Citation Mustang Around the World!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citation Mustang Around the World!
    Posted: Feb-02-2010 at 11:45am
Hey everyone,

I've been gearing up for this for almost a month now, and it's time to get started. I'm going to do a world tour in the Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, starting this week. I'll be flying on VATSIM so all the flights will be logged and you'll be able to follow my progress.

This will be the third time I've flown around the world in Microsoft Flight Simulator. The first time I did a round-the-world flight was in FS2000, which was fun, but a little lonely as it was just me out there. I did it again to celebrate the release of FS2002, and by then I had the AI traffic out there to keep me company. Both times I used the default Learjet 45 for my flights. I actually still have a bunch of screenshots from my FS2004 trip and I'll try to post some of them soon.

I started a round-the-world flight in FS2004, but with the demise of my favorite online route planner, I did not plan it out very well. As a result I got bored somewhere in the Caribbean and never finished it.

So this time around I am planning the route out beforehand, I'll probably be making some changes to it, but this is the tentative route.

And you can check on my VATSIM stats here. As you can see, the plane, N5CP, is sitting at Reagan National Airport in DC right now, my home field and starting/ending point.

My first leg is going to be KDCA-KBOS. So tonight, the weather is supposed to be crummy in Washington, but Boston should be clear. I think I'll be OK to make the first flight tonight, probably about 8PM EST/ 0100 GMT.

If I can make it to Gander by Saturday the weather over the North Atlantic looks good for the weekend.
smoothvirus View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-02-2010 at 3:07pm
Found a good site with lots of info on making real-world crossings of the North Atlantic:  Flying To Europe

After reading the site, Goose Bay looks like a better fit than Gander, so I'll be heading that way after I get to Boston.

New route!
AirVette View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirVette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-02-2010 at 4:00pm
Hey smooth,

Good luck man!

Please keep us posted here as I do not go to VATSIM. I am interested in seeing how you will make some of those long distances.   

Paul   
Paul Higginbotham

Flight1 Certified Professional

Flywheel View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flywheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-03-2010 at 3:50pm

Hey Paul i am more than curious as well , i think using the charts provided for best cruise and all that he might nudge 1000, with favorable winds but some his legs are close to 1100, so he might be gliding some distance. Like you i wish all the best and i will following the updates. i have a vested interest in this . Hawaii

Pete

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-04-2010 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Flywheel Flywheel wrote:

Hey Paul i am more than curious as well , i think using the charts provided for best cruise and all that he might nudge 1000, with favorable winds but some his legs are close to 1100, so he might be gliding some distance. Like you i wish all the best and i will following the updates. i have a vested interest in this . Hawaii

Pete

Yes, the route is in need of a bit of tweaking. Smile It's OK though, that's why it's "tentative".  I'm sure, for instance, PASY-PANC is not going to work. However, Kodiak is about halfway in between and should make for an interesting stop.

I do have the Vroute software which has a fuel planner included. It's already giving me grief over the KBOS-CYYR route and that one's not even 800NM. Biggest problem there is that all the alternates are far away.
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-04-2010 at 4:55pm
A Journey of 38,000 Miles Begins With Cheap Dinner in Boston

this leg's theme song: Daft Punk - Around The World

Route

“Baby, I’m flying around the world, and you’re coming with me.”

And with that it was decided that I was going to embark on my third round-the-world flight. This time, instead of flying alone, I was bringing my girlfriend with me. For weeks I had been plotting out a route, training myself on Garmin’s G1000 GPS, and flying my Cessna Citation Mustang around the United States, gearing myself up for the big trip.

The first leg of our trip was going to be from Reagan National in Washington, to Boston’s Logan Airport. I had delayed our departure for a few days, staying in Atlanta, because I wanted to take part in VATSIM’s fly-in event at Dulles. So I had flown in to Dulles the weekend previously, and then once that was complete, made the fifteen minute hop from Dulles over to National.

As I was taking off from Dulles I asked Washington Center what runway to expect at National.

“N5CP, you’re going to be on the River Visual for Runway 19 at National.”

“Ahh, the River Visual, my favorite!”

“Yes, it’s rather popular.”

I had spent half of my life watching aircraft wind their way down the Potomac in between the District and Arlington. It really was my favorite. So, after touching down at good old KDCA, we started making preparations for the first leg.

And now we were in a rush. 2009-2010 was turning out to be a harsh winter in Washington. For our first leg, we already had a snowstorm closing in on DC. It was high time to get out of town, we didn’t have time to get dinner or even get much of a send-off. On our way over to the airport, a few snowflakes started to flutter down softly.

We were going to have to hurry if we were going to beat the weather. I had already set things up to pick up the necessary survival gear for the Atlantic crossing in Boston, so we were packing light.

I programmed my route for KDCA-KBOS into the Garmin and we were ready to go. We watched a USAir A319 come down the River Visual, the same as I had done a couple of nights before, and then we were ready to go.

Potomac Approach crackled over the COMM radio,
“You’d better get on out of here if you’re going to beat that ice.”
“Yes, that the plan!”

And so we blasted out of DC like the Millennium Falcon leaving Mos Eisley.

Potomac Approach routed us to our flight path and bid us farewell.
"Good luck there, N5CP!"
"Roger that, keep the beer cold for us, we'll be back before too long."

Soon we were above the clouds and I turned the anti-ice systems off, and continued my 170-knot climb on up to FL350.
Washington Center came online while we were over the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and gave us ATC about as far as Philadelphia, after which we were back to Unicom, since New York Center was offline.

We flew over the twinkling lights of Newark, New York harbor, and Manhattan Island.

Since we were back in uncontrolled airspace, I started planning out my descent on my E6B. Okay, I admit I cheated somewhat.. the E6B app on my iPhone. Smile I needed to start a 1800FPM descent 28NM out of the Providence VOR, then turn north to head into Boston. Boston Tower was online, I checked the ATIS, and they were landing runways 22L, and 27. I started getting ready for the ILS approach to 27, and printed out the approach plate.

A couple of minutes after I began my descent, we received a PM from Boston Center, they had just come online. I contacted them
“Boston Center, N5CP is with you, FL320 for FL100.”
“N5CP, roger, please cross Providence VOR at FL110.”

FL110! Crap, I had been planning to hit 10,000 feet somewhere over the Bay, not over Rhode Island! I increased the descent to 2500FPM.

It didn’t matter, we were just going through 14,000 feet as we passed over Providence.

“N5CP, turn left heading 060 from Providence, expect the visual approach to runway 27 in Boston.”

“The 060 radial off the Providence VOR, roger, N5CP.”

Crap, I hadn’t been planning on a visual approach into an unfamiliar airport.

We were close to Boston, but I couldn’t pick out runway 27 from the mass of lights at Logan. I could see the field just fine, but wasn’t sure which runway was 27. We got handed off from Center to Logan Tower

“Boston Tower, N5CP is with you for runway 27, not sure I have the runway yet”
“November Five Charlie Papa, roger, enter left base for runway 27.”
“Roger, left base runway 27.”

Thinking fast, I punched in the ILS procedure for runway 27 into the G1000. Now I could see the localizer going off at a 90 degree angle to the front of the airplane. Good. I lowered the gear and started running the landing checklist.

I wish I could claim that it was the finest landing of my life, but I must report that I came in a bit high and wound up dumping the flaps and diving for the runway, like I used to do in a C150 back at Shannon Airport, KEZF, when I was 17 years old.

It’s a good thing runway 27 at Logan is pretty long! It was a bit wobbly, and a little right of center but I brought her down and we were off the runway before the terminal. Tower cleared me over to the general aviation terminal. After waiting for a Continental 737 to taxi in front of us, we parked, chocked the tires, and went to find dinner.

Boston Market, of course. Big%20smile

…next time, what’s good for the Gander, is good for the Goose!
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-05-2010 at 10:12am
Flew the KBOS-CYYR leg last night. Will post the narrative soon. I also did some tweaking to my route
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-06-2010 at 8:22pm
Leg #2

What's Good For The Gander Is Good For The Goose!

Route

My original idea when looking at my route, was to fly from Boston on up to Gander Airport in Newfoundland, Canada. But after reading Bob Webster's great site on flying the North Atlantic crossing, it became clear to me that going to Goose Bay in Labrador was a better idea. It would put us in a better position to divert to Sondre Stromfjord should the weather at Narsarsuaq turn bad. The weather in the North Atlantic is notorious for being unpredictable.

As it turned out, we got lucky because the winds were forecast to be calm that Thursday night. So while I would have preferred to fly into an unfamiliar airport in daylight conditions, I decided to take advantage of the favorable forecast and booked my flight to take off that evening from Boston.

Flying across the Atlantic in a private plane requires taking on a bunch of survival gear, should one have to ditch in the ocean or if you have to land on Greenland's icecap. We got a life raft and two immersion suits. We decided that I would fly with my suit on but if we had to ditch there would be enough time for my girlfriend to get hers on, so she did not need to.

However taking on all the survival gear presented a new problem. With the added weight I would have to be very careful about our fuel consumption. The problem was that Goose Bay is in a very remote location, and there aren't any airports nearby. The closest appropriate alternate I could find was in Churchill Falls, 132NM to the west.

This made my fuel planning software fits. We were going to have to be very careful about loading the aircraft and I would have to get up as high as possible, FL410, the service ceiling for the Mustang, if we were going to have a chance of making a divert to Churchill Falls.

Leaving Boston was uneventful, and this night we would not be flying with ATC. Fortunately I would not be flying alone because as I neared FL410, a friendly 767 captain, Matt, started chatting with me.

It turned out Matt was on a round the world flight as well, but he was flying a 767 so the legs were a bit longer than a Mustang's were. He was out of Newark, on his way to Charles-De-Gaulle in Paris.

I also noticed a Piper Cheyenne had taken off from Bangor and was heading to Goose Bay as well. And as it turned out, this was another pilot taking on a round the world challenge! You can check his thread here.

The Cheyenne was at FL250 and making really good time, he was going to get to Goose Bay before I did. I nudged the Mustang on up to FL410, to Matt's astonishment. He is a proud Mustang owner as well. Turns out getting to FL410 isn't easy but using the FLC mode on the Mustang's autopilot helps.

It turns out that Maine is a really big state! Getting all the way across Maine took quite a while. On the way a 747 inbound to Newark flew beneath me, trailing a giant contrail behind it.

On the way, I kept checking the METAR out of Goose Bay. And the weather was decent. Matt was helping me with doing some endurance calculations and we were figuring that if I had to divert to Churchill Falls from Goose Bay, I'd wind up on the ground in Churchill Falls with 8 minutes worth of fuel left on board!

Needless to say I was quite thankful that it was a quiet night in Goose Bay. The Cheyenne landed as I was beginning my descent into the area.

Now I had been flying all over the United States in the Mustang, getting myself ready for this trip. And a lot of that flying was at night. One thing I noticed was that pretty much everywhere I went, there were at least a few lights down below, letting me know that some kind of human civilization was below me.

But flying over the frozen taiga of Labrador, there was nothing below except inky blackness. There was nothing down there, no towns, no houses, no roads, nada. It was, to paraphrase my favorite Coen brothers movie "darker than the inside of a cow's tuckus on a moonless prairie night."

But before long, the soft glow of the town of Goose Bay/Happy Valley appeared in the distance. This town had grown up around the airport after the field was constructed during WWII.

So the winds were good after all. I brought the plane down into a visual approach over the harbor and landed without any problems. I pulled into the ramp right next to the King Air Cheyenne, shut the engines down, and bid my new friend Matt goodnight.

Before opening the door, I checked the outside air temprature... -11F! Brrrrrrrrrrr. This place was COLD. Fortunately the FBO in Goose Bay has a heated hangar for overnight stays, so we had our Mustang put away in a nice warm place and took the shuttle van to our hotel room.

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-06-2010 at 9:00pm
Leg #3

Narr-Sarrr-What?

Route

I was in a hurry, and I knew that wasn't usually a good thing for pilots to be in when planning a flight. But I wanted to make it to Greenland's Narsarsuaq airport. By the way, that's pronounced Nar-Sar-Swak, and the last bit rhymes with "walk".

So the visibility in Narsarsuaq was good, but the wind was not. The night I landed in Goose Bay, the wind in Narsarsuaq was gusting to 46 knots. Yikes.

But if I made it there on Friday evening, I could head out for Reykjavik, Iceland on Saturday morning. Several of my friends had been there and told me that the people in Iceland were super-friendly and Reykjavik was a fun town. Saturday night in Reykyavik sounded a lot better than Saturday night in Greenland. The other issue is that all the airports in Greenland are closed on Sunday.

Even so, we were going to have to pay extra landing fees in Narsarsuaq because we were arriving after dark and keeping the airport staff late. You can land at night in Narsarsuaq but takeoffs are only allowed during daylight hours.

I wanted to make good time, so we hurried out of Goose Bay and set course east for the Labrador Sea and Greenland.

There wasn't any sign of the Piper Cheyenne from the previous evening and Matt wasn't online this time. This far up north there wasn't any ATC this time either.

As we were winging our way across the icy cold Labrador Sea, I noticed a Turkish Airlines 777 heading the other way, making his way over Greenland, going to Montreal. The winds in Narsarsuaq were going to be a challenge. 26 knot winds were better than 46 knot winds but nothing to scoff at.

As I was approaching the point that I needed to start descending, I noticed that the Turkish Airlines had declared an emergency, and was now descending to land in Narsarsuaq! He made it in and landed just as we were starting down.

Narsarsuaq has a reputation as a dangerous airport, it is located at the head of a glacier-carved fjord, surrounded by mountains. Being close to the sea, it is often subject to high winds. And as I was about to discover, this reputation is well-deserved.

It was just light enough that I could make out the fjord and the snow-covered mountains around the airport. I had the autopilot established on the localizer approach to runway 07. The approach is steep so aircraft can clear the mountains across the fjord from the threshold.

I noticed that the plane was crabbing like crazy to hold course, and as soon as I turned off the autopilot to hand-fly the last couple of miles, I experienced the scariest landing I have ever experienced.

The wind was absolutely ripping down the valley above the airport. I had to crab so far to the left that the runway was all the way on the right side of the windscreen. I was fighting the wind all the way across the fjord, fighting back against it with my engines.

I was truly scared, this was the craziest landing I had ever attempted. The wind was utterly brutal, pushing our plane away from the centerline. Just as it seemed I was better off going missed, and diverting to Sondre Stromfjord, I realized my crab was working and we were in fact tracking right over the runway.

I throttled back and brought the plane down to a rough landing. We thumped down onto the runway and the wheels squealed in protest as we went from flying almost sideways to rolling straight on the ground. We were in one piece though, so I taxied to the ramp. Despite the windy conditions, the temperature was 36 degrees F. Balmy compared to Goose Bay, and warmer than it was back home in Washington DC!

We had the plane tied down with concrete weights to keep it from blowing away. Literally - that had happened before to a brand new PC-12 that was being ferried to the States. We didn't want our baby blown into the side of a building so we made sure to take care of her.

The small terminal at Narsarsuaq was controlled chaos - hundreds of passengers from the Turkish Air 777 who had been expecting to be in Montreal had suddenly found themselves stranded in a tiny village in Greenland. Thankfully we had reservations at the hotel so we walked over, since the hotel is right by the airport.

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-08-2010 at 12:48pm
Leg #4

Hello There, Mister Bear

Route

The wind was still going like crazy at Narsarsuaq, gusting to 35 knots. The forecast called for even stronger winds later in the week. On a lark I had checked the METAR for  Sondre Stromfjord, and the winds there were only 8 knots. Note to self: next time consider Sondre Stromfjord when leaving Goose Bay.

After a nice meal at the hotel in Narsarsuaq, with all the stranded passengers from the Turkish Airways flight, we were ready to head out. The wind gusts were even blowing us around as we back-taxied to the end of the runway.

I spooled the engines up to full power and took off. Narsarsuaq is situated at the end of a glacial valley, with the glacier a few miles up from the airport. I decided to hand fly the plane until we were clear of the surrounding mountains.

Once we were clear I went ahead and engaged the autopilot and continued on course for Reykjavik.

We flew over the southern end of Greenland's ice cap, one of the most barren and forlorn places on Earth. Theres nothing there but the sky and miles and miles of pure white ice, with the occasional mountaintop poking out.

We flew over the ice cap, passed over Greenland's east coast, and out over the cold Atlantic where the German battleship Bismarck had sunk the HMS Hood so many years before.

Not long after leaving Greenland behind we were contacted by Reykjavik Control, the first ATC we had heard from in some time. I went to their frequency and contacted them, but heard nothing. I sent a message to the controller that we were still out of VHF range, and he told me to standby. He must have boosted the power somehow because there he was on the radio, in perfect unaccented English.

Having established contact I continued on course for Iceland. Then I heard the controller speaking to another aircraft but I couldn't understand anything they were saying. I quickly realized that they were speaking in Icelandic. So the controllers were talking to the local pilots in Icelandic and to me in English.

Icelandic is an odd-sounding language. It's derived from Old Norse and also from Old English, and sounded to my ears almost like English played in reverse.

The controller in Reykjavik was trying to get in touch with a Russian TU-95 "Bear" that was out on maritime patrol between Iceland and Scotland. I guess Ivan was feeling like making a little show of power again.

I started cracking jokes to my girlfriend in my best Boris voice, about "vee find moose and squirrel" and imitating Yakov Smirnov, "in Soviet Russia, flight plan files YOU!", as the TU-95 wandered off to the southwest.

The friendly controllers in Iceland guided us in and I lined the Mustang up on the localizer approach to runway 13 in Reykjavik. Compared to the frightening landing we had in Narsarsuaq the previous evening this was a piece of cake. I brought her right in with the centerline between the mains, braked, and taxied to the ramp. Another successful flight completed, we were off to enjoy a nice dinner in Reykjavk.

maggiemae View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggiemae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-01-2010 at 10:27pm

Big%20smileBeen there Done that I went along the southern route through the Middle East, down to New Zealand and up through the Pacific. I just got back last week and now I have a serious mechanical with the C510. The throttles do not control the engines correctly,Cry when I go back to idle they power up to T/O power ! makes it very difficult to land and taxi inShocked. I have checked some other planes and the throttles work fine on them so she needs to go into the shop till I can fire off an E-mail to tech support with all my info. Hope this is still warrantySmile

It took me around 80 hours to complete the trip but I did use a lot of GPS direct especially over the ponds. Good luck and have a great flight

AirVette View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirVette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-02-2010 at 7:04am
Hi Maggie,

The throttle problem.

Have you been saving your flight as you fly around he world? If so you may want to reload the safe startup flight and place it at your last airport.
Paul Higginbotham

maggiemae View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggiemae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-02-2010 at 10:06pm
LOL
AirVette Thanks yupp I have tried about everything from reloads of the safe flight software to trying to get it to work without the safe startupConfused All the rest of the fleet works fine just the C510. I did get it to work using the trim wheel to control the power ??? so it probaly is in the programming of the Throttle (G940) but since all the others work fine and it was been ok since Santa brought the new controller I'm scratching my head over this one Confused I used to show students how to fly a C150 around the circuit using the trim wheel but never as the thrust leverLOL
AirVette View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirVette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-02-2010 at 11:02pm
Please, call me Paul.

OK, have you tried it without the hardware? Using just the keyboard? I would just keep eliminating things till it works because you indicated that it DID work at one time, yes?

It has to be hardware related, I would bet it is.

Keep us posted.

Paul
Paul Higginbotham

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-05-2011 at 12:56am
Wow, I've been out of the cockpit for some time.. anyway I made it as far as Athens on my round the world trip. Now that it's too cold to fly my RC aircraft outside, I think it's time to fly my simulated aircraft inside. I actually bought a house and moved this summer so tonight I unpacked my flight yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant. It's been last spring since I flew on FSX, so I'm fairly rusty.

I plan to pickup where I left off, the next step after Athens was Cairo. Right now I can't get my throttle quadrant to work. Once I get that figured out I'll start doing the flight planning to cross the Med. 

And then it's off to Africa! Smile
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-06-2011 at 7:00pm
Flew the Athens-Cairo leg this morning (my time, it was after dark over there). Had a nice view of the pyramids as I came in over Cairo. Going to have to decide the next best spot, was thinking about Khartoum next, but I don't think the Mustang has the range for it. Probably will stop at Aswan first.

Africa can be deceiving, having grown up looking at Mercator maps, it looks a LOT smaller than it really is.
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-12-2011 at 2:43pm
In Addis Ababa now, flying in Africa is a bit lonely on Vatsim, not much in the way of ATC or other pilots.

The flight from Khartoum to Addis Ababa was a bit interesting. Addis Ababa is in a very mountainous area, and there weren't any charts I could find for the airport online for free. So, coming in I had to carefully avoid some rather high mountains. The airport itself is at an elevation of 7656 feet. 

The other problem was that this is one of the airports that FSX places down into a pit. So I had to bring the Mustang in rather steeply to clear the hill at the end of the runway. Fortunately the runways at HAAB are 12,000 feet long so that helped.

I'll be flying to Kilamanjaro tonight at 02:00z. 
talbot flyer View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talbot flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-12-2011 at 3:12pm
I am glad you are back on your route, I really enjoyed your Feb. 2010 flights and I look forward to your continued trip.

You mentioned "my flight yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant"
Are you using CH products or others? I have the CH pedals and yoke.  I have been thinking of getting a TQ but I am not sure how I would assign levers and buttons for the Mustang. When you get a little time off could you tell me which assignments you used for the TQ for the Mustang?
Win7, 64 bit FSX
EVGA X58 SLI Chipset Core i7
Intel Core i7 980X
12 GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600 MHz CL6
1536MB Nvidia GeForce GTX 480

Citation Mustang 200+ hours Hobbs
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-12-2011 at 8:58pm
Thanks Talbot.

My yoke, pedals, and quadrant are all Saitek. I have the quadrant setup pretty much the same way as the real Mustang. The first two levers are the throttles and the third one is flaps. 
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-20-2011 at 10:50pm
Hey everyone, I'm in Djibouti now.

It was a long flight (940nm) but some good tailwinds helped. I did misread the Jeppesen charts a bit and descended a bit early, burning a little more fuel than I wanted to but it was all OK. With that tailwind I probably could have made it across the Red Sea to Yemen with no problem. 

I have some nice shots of Kilamanjaro and will post them soon. 

Dubai is next. Also, this is a more updated route showing what I've already flown:

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-01-2011 at 12:24pm
Flew to Mumbai on Sunday night, next is going to be Kathmandu. Depending on a good tailwind the Mustang will actually make some fairly long flights. I still had 700 lbs of fuel left in the tank when I landed in Mumbai and it was a greater than 1000nm leg.

Djibouti to Dubai was even longer, I had the low fuel warning come up as I was taxiing to the gate in Dubai.

Right now I'm trying to do my flight planning for Kathmandu, and even though that leg not nearly as long, there are not a lot of alternates and the winds are not as good, so my flight planner is telling me it's going to be close on fuel.

tweaked the route a little bit:

divemaster08 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divemaster08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-13-2011 at 11:21am
Hey nice flights!

I am also currently doing a RTW in a mustang! Its taking me a bit longer than your doing (2years!) but i am trying to finish it up!

Its kind of funny how similar some of the routes have been between us!

Here is my vataware reports. REG VP-CAF

http://www.vataware.com/callsign.cfm?callsign=VP-CAF

One thing i am finding a bit different are your altitudes! I struggle to get up to FL310 on some flights and i see your going all the way up to FL390! My Mustang seems to struggle in the climb out after FL250!
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divemaster08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-13-2011 at 11:24am
would like to make mine as long as yours! But i think after reaching the US again, im heading the most direct routing back to homebase MWCR!

Probably do a South American tour someother time!
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-21-2011 at 10:10am
Hey Divemaster, great to hear! I took a look at your route and I see a lot of places I'm now familiar with. Smile

Here is where I've been so far:

http://bit.ly/fDEO1R

As you can see, I decided to go farther up into Siberia rather than try to cross the Bering Strait through the Aleutian islands. The weather at Anadyr is a bit better, albeit colder. But it puts you within range of PANC Anchroage.

Actually the flight from UHPP-UHMA was a bit hairy because I ran into a nasty headwind (115kts) for pretty much the whole flight. Fuel consumption was very high and I would have diverted to Tilichiki UHPT except that the airport is not present in FSX! So I soldiered on to Anadyr UHMA and landed with about 150 pounds of fuel left. 

I would recommend  visiting Petropovlovsk UHPP if you can. Really interesting getting in and out of that airport due to the high volcanoes all around. There are some pilots on VATSIM who live there and they were very welcoming when I visited. Just remember to set your FMC to meters after you leave Japanese airspace! 

Oh yeah, one more thing, if you're flying to UHPP from Japan the best jump off point is Sapporo. I tried it from another airport that's geographically closer to Russia but discovered that the Russians don't like civil aircraft overflying the Kuriles because it's a politically sensitive area. There is an air route that goes from Hokkaido Island to Kamchatka but it runs from Sapporo. Also there is freeware scenery available for Sapporo. 

You can find all kinds of freeware scenery here:

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divemaster08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-21-2011 at 7:26pm
Thanks for the tips! I am now in Fukuoka and next stop is Tokyo, was planning to do another stop in Japan before leaving which was going to be Sapporo. Then i will probably check out that UHPP place before making my way along the Aleutians as I want to stop by Dutch Harbour after stopping on Adak island at the NAFB there.

I also had some interesting flight from Singapore to Hanoi! I for some reason thought the mustang had a range of 1500nm, so i was kind of worried how my flight into VVNB, the fuel was going to be just enough for a possible circuit at the field and thats it! Landed with just 140lbs of fuel onboard! Its then i checked back to see that the mustang has a range of 1100nm and to Hanoi was 1196nm! opps! Have now made a mental note on the range!
specialist View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-12-2011 at 4:07pm
First time I noticed this thread, and was wondering how your flight around the world has gone, or if you are still at it. I just finished an around the world flight, but it was with my Citation X. More fuel and distance capacity, and it was hard never the less. I think it took me more than 3 months to complete a realistic trip, considering some of us have real jobs to go to! LOL
Johnny Rosario
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-05-2013 at 9:23am
Well, I have returned. I never did finish my round the world flight although I did make it all the way back to San Francisco. The next stage was going to be a flight down through South America, then back up through the Caribbean and up the East Coast, back home to Washington DC.
So the plan now is to continue from where I left off at KSFO and fly down to KSAN, then off into Mexico.
Girlfriend is gone, so I'll be flying on alone this time.
But the nice thing is I'm on a different PC now and plan on streaming my flights on Twitch.tv! Right now I'm going through re-installing FSX and all the addons I purchased for it. Once that's done I'll do an offline shakedown flight to shake off the rust from not flying for two years. I'll probably stream that one just to make sure everything works. Then I'll do the "official" KSFO-KSAN flight on VATSIM and get my global circumnavigaton thing on again.
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-05-2013 at 9:26am
And this has been the route up until now:
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-05-2013 at 1:54pm
Nice job on the round-the-world flight.  I want to do this at some point, just need to decide what equipment I am going to use.
Jeff Smith
Flight1 Sales / Support
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-08-2013 at 6:28pm
Still working on rebuilding my FSX installation! No wonder I waited so long to reinstall everything. lol

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-09-2013 at 10:06am

Some more route tweaks:

Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-09-2013 at 10:43am

Looking forward to the continuation of the trip once you get up and running again.

Jeff Smith
Flight1 Sales / Support
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-09-2013 at 10:54am

and even more!

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-13-2013 at 9:22pm
OK I just did a rehearsal flight and I think everything is set. So tune in to the Smoothvirus channel on Twitch tomorrow at 8pm EDT and I'll be starting my broadcast of the KSFO-KSAN leg then. 

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-14-2013 at 8:18pm
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-15-2013 at 12:37am
Getting the videos uploaded now. Next flight of KSAN-MMSD will be tomorrow at 7PM EDT on my Twitch channel.
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-15-2013 at 1:02am
You can view tonight's flight here:

http://www.twitch.tv/smoothvirus/c/2933910

I'm a bit rusty on the G1000 and I need to calibrate my yoke and pedals but it was a successful flight.
hubinsc View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubinsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-15-2013 at 8:56am
Nice flight but it looked like you were running 1/2 speed. How do you get the cockpit/co-pilot announcements?
Regards, Hub

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-15-2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by hubinsc hubinsc wrote:

Nice flight but it looked like you were running 1/2 speed. How do you get the cockpit/co-pilot announcements?

Thanks Hub, frame rate in KSAN is a bit slow, I'll need to do some tweaking I think. You can activate the co-pilot announcements from the options panel.
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-16-2013 at 6:36am
I did some tweaking to the graphics and the frame rate seems to be better now. Flew the KSAN-MMSD leg last night, you can watch it here.

The route so far

Next flight will be to Mexico City, Tuesday night at 8pm EDT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic